Monday, October 25, 2010

Apple-Dipping

I took on a project last week for my lifelong friend Heather who got married this past Saturday. I agreed to make 50 caramel apples for her pumpkin patch inspired rehearsal dinner. Since I worked at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory in college, I had an idea of what to do, but it was still really different doing it in my own kitchen and with little Jackson tagging along. I started Wednesday night when Dan got home from work and he kept one eye on the baby and one eye on the Giants game so that I could make the caramel.
 The sticks arrived in the mail just in time, the day I needed to use them. Thank you Jesus, I was literally praying all day for the stupid sticks to get here. I love how God is faithful in the smallest of things.
 All of the gooey caramel ingredients before they're melted.
 Two too cute helpers
 Getting that concoction to 236 degs took forever since I was trying to be patient and resist cranking the heat up to high.  It was spattering and even closer to the top of the pot at the end, so Dan poured it to the dipping bowl without burning anyone.
 Finally ready to start dipping.
 The caramel is smooth and perfect!

 Letting the liquid caramel set up overnight in the fridge.
 Nice and pretty in the morning. My wonderful friend Elaine came over the next day with her little one Emeline so that they could entertain Jack while I decorated the apples. I didn't realize how much help that would be and how long the process would take. Thank you Elaine!
 Here I got distracted and managed to burn the first batch of white chocolate to the point that it was unusable. Luckily Elaine stayed with the babies and I flew over to Safeway for more chocolate.
 Here are the plain and peanut apples boxed and ready to roll.
 The turtle apples are complete (caramel, pecans, white and dark choc)
 These are my favorite.  The tuxedo apples with chocolate bow ties.
 The all white bridal apples.
 The completed bride and groom apples
 So excited about how these came out.
 My smiling little helper on the last day as I was packing up the load for transport to Santa Rosa.
 He got tired of being supportive after a while
 Everything's ready to go.

A last minute rest before we hit the road in the rain.

What a fun little adventure.  I heard that people at the rehearsal really enjoyed the apples and I was so glad that they added a special touch to my friend's special weekend.  

Fall always makes me feel nostalgic, so I will quote from Robert Frost's "After Apple-Picking":
"I kept hearing from the cellar bin
The rumbling sound
Of load on load of apples coming in.
For I have had too much
Of apple-picking: I am overtired
Of the great harvest I myself desired.
There were ten thousand thousand fruit to touch,
Cherish in hand, lift down, and not let fall"

The End

1 comment:

  1. Wow, they really turned out beautifully! I've been looking forward to the pics! And that leftover caramel you gave us was delicious, we dipped apple slices in it and it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete