Saturday, May 26, 2012

Toddler Science

We have been really focused lately on helping Jack learn to explore and play independently at our home. We have decided not to send him to preschool this year, so I want our home to be a safe and stimulating environment so that he can have many of those same exploratory experience doing day to day things at home.

I'm finding this involves allowing things that seems like more work for me: letting him get soaked at the water table, letting him riffle through safe cupboards, let him draw on his hands and arms with his dry erase pens outside, basically allowing him to try things that aren't harmful, but may be messy for me to clean up. Of course there are times to say "no." We're not jumping in mud puddles in our church clothes. But there are a lot of chances to say "yes" and let him see how things work.

I found a wonderful advice blog (http://www.playcreateexplore.com/p/activites-for-ages-1-3.html) on things that toddlers love and I was inspired to intentionally set up an activity for Jackson this morning. I filled a cupcake tin with real food with a variety of textures. Then I set up his cooking pots and spoons. It also turns out that the recycle bin is a treasure trove of containers with lids, tops, little boxes, and other free "toys."

The set-up
 Curious Cosette looks on


 Jack was excited about the opportunity to touch and make a mess in the kitchen "cooking" and I settled down to do my bible study reading nearby. I was planning to report on this successful playtime where Jack played independently for an hour having so many new sensory experience (with Cosette watching, also entertained), BUT of course these things don't go quite as you plan. He enjoyed figuring out that some of the food was snackable - Cherrios! Raisins! and that he could mix the foods together and scoop them into pots. However, he soon wanted to incorporate other toys from his room and within minutes we were getting out trains, books and other toys and had completely diverted from the activity I set up.

Checking things out when he first woke up.
 Cracking the pasta
 Cosette loves the camera!
 Scooping with the measuring spoons and trying to get into the oven to "cook" his creation.



What I learned: know my kid! On a morning at home, I should let him wake up and play with the toys he is drawn to first. When he inevitably gets bored, that could be a better moment to bring out a new activity. Also, he is always slow to warm to new things. This might become a favorite playtime for him if we repeat it a few times. He just doesn't love new things. I have to remember that he is only 2 and I might have to demonstrate more how to interact with a new experience before he knows what to try. He may not have known what to do and was afraid of getting scolded for making a mess since we usually avoid messes.

Goofing around with Mr Potato Head's glasses.

He was excited that I was taking pictures and he wanted to take lots of pictures together with the timer. Toddlers know how to have a different kind of fun than the fun you planned for them. They just have their own ideas.

Different poses - surprised!
 Silly
 Cuddly
 Chicken head
 Happy to be cookin'


2 comments:

  1. You are a fabulous Mom. I love this idea of allowing him to make a mess. Those are the memories!

    ReplyDelete